How to Use a One-Hitter
Jun 24, 2020 | Save On Cannabis
Sometimes you want to sit back and get baked, but other times you just need a quick hit on the go. For those quick-hit occasions, a one-hitter is a godsend. It’s discreet, it’s portable, and it saves you from having to roll messy joints the old-fashioned way.
What Is a One-Hitter?
A one-hitter is a small pipe, usually about the size of a cigarette, that holds a single hit of marijuana. It may be made of glass, acrylic, or metal. Some are transparent while others have unique colors and designs. Some are even modeled to look like a cigarette.
Using a one-hitter is easy: Just pack it with your favorite herb, light it like you would a joint, and take a hit. Just place the mouthpiece between your lips and gently pull. As you inhale the smoke, let it linger for a few seconds before you release. To remove the ash, just give it a quick tap.
Are One-Hitters Safe to Smoke Weed?
A one-hitter is generally safe to use, but it’s not recommended for people with severe respiratory issues. Because the pipe is so small and concentrated, it hits the lungs with much more intensity than you’d get with a joint or a larger pipe.
For those who are sensitive to heavy smoke inhalation, consider sticking with traditional joints or instead opting for smoke-free cannabis products like vape pens, tinctures, capsules, and edibles.
How to Use a One-Hitter With a Dugout
A one-hitter may be sold as a standalone accessory, or it may be included with a dugout. A dugout is a pocket-sized box that contains everything you need for your quick hit. There’s a compartment for your one-hitter, a section for your marijuana stash, a grinder card for breaking down your herb, and a scooping tool for easy cleaning. We recommend grabbing a cannabis dugout coupon and investing in one of these handy tools because they’re just so convenient.
To use a one-hitter with a dugout:
- Slide open the box.
- Remove the herb and grind it into the storage receptacle using the provided card.
- Retrieve the one-hitter and close the box.
- Slide the one-hitter into the dugout’s cylindrical opening (bowl-end down) to collect the herb inside.
- Twist the one-hitter to pack it down.
- Retrieve the one-hitter and light up.
Before using the one-hitter again, be sure to clear it out. You can sometimes blow into the mouthpiece to remove loose residue. Other times you’ll need to use the copper tool to remove stubborn clogs.
How to Pack a One-Hitter Without a Dugout
Packing a one-hitter is easy when you have a dugout, but what if you only have the pipe? There are a couple of methods that work well:
- Place your ground herb on a flat surface.
- Turn the pipe bowl-side down and press it onto the surface, collecting the herb.
- Twist the pipe for more effective packing.
- Gather additional herb and repeat until the one-hitter is fully packed.
Just be careful not to pack it too tightly, as you don’t want to restrict airflow.
One-Hitter vs. Multi-Hitter
In addition to one-hitters, you’ll find two-hitters, three-hitters, and even five-hitters on the market. Some dugouts even come with a selection of differently sized hitter pipes to accommodate different occasions.
One-hitters and multi-hitters both have their benefits and drawbacks.
- One-hitters are the smallest, quickest, most discreet option.
- One-hitters produce minimal odor due to having less cannabis, smoke, and ash.
- One-hitters make it easy to achieve precise dosing, whereas multi-hitters require a bit more measuring or guesswork.
- Multi-hitters allow you to consume more, perfect for those times when one hit just isn’t enough.
- Multi-hitters are perfect for sharing in social settings.
- Both options are fairly discreet, as they don’t resemble joints.
- Both options are easy to pack, requiring no rolling papers.
Consider adding both options to your arsenal. You’ll always be prepared for whatever the occasion calls for.
How to Use a One-Hitter for Microdosing Weed
One-hitters offer many additional benefits that we haven’t even begun to discuss. For starters, you don’t have to worry about burning your fingers, because the glass or metal cylinder protects you from direct heat exposure. More notably, a one-hitter is the perfect tool for microdosing weed.
Microdosing refers to using small, minimally psychoactive doses of marijuana. If you’re using marijuana for medicinal purposes, this may be of particular significance for you. Some studies have shown that medical marijuana patients often experience greater symptom relief and fewer side effects when microdosing.
A one-hitter typically holds about 25mg of cannabis. This is a reasonable amount of product for one good hit, but if you’re microdosing, you’ll usually want less. Fill the cylinder about halfway for a 10-12mg microdose. Also be mindful of how much THC is in the strain you’re smoking. Some strains have nearly 30% THC. If you’re microdosing, you’ll want to find a strain with around 10% THC or less. Examples include Euphoria, Easy Bud, and Harlequin.
How to Clean a One-Hitter
There are two common ways to clean a one-hitter: the boiling technique and the alcohol technique.
To clean a one-hitter with rubbing alcohol:
- De-clog the pipe using a scooper tool or pipe cleaner (if you have a dugout, a tool should be included)
- Place your one-hitter in a sealable plastic bag or container.
- Fill the container with isopropyl alcohol, just enough to completely submerge the pipe.
- If you want to get fancy about it, you can instead use a commercial cleaning agent like Formula 420 or Grand Master Smoke bong cleaner, though this isn’t necessary.
- Add 1 to 2 ounces of hot water and 1 to 2 tablespoons of salt. The water helps to soften caked-on debris and the salt works as an abrasive.
- Shake the container a few times to mix the ingredients.
- Let the pipe soak for about 2 hours.
- Check the pipe. Continue to let it soak if it isn’t completely clean.
- Remove the pipe and rinse with warm water.
To clean a one-hitter with boiling water:
- Boil a pot of water.
- Place the pipe in the water and let it soak for about 1 hour.
- Remove the pipe with a set of tongs and let it cool.
- Rinse or scoop out the pipe to remove any remaining debris.
For best results, clean after each use.
Where to Find One-Hitters
You can often find dugouts and one-hitters in your local dispensary. Because these products are used for a wide variety of consumables (including tobacco products), it’s legal to purchase them online in all 50 states. You can use a one-hitters coupon and compare the best deals on these handy tools.
Next time you need an emergency hit, you’ll be glad to have everything you need right in your pocket or handbag.
Don't miss on the biggest deals! Sign up now for FREE.