Quick & Easy Way to Make Kief Cookies
Feb 5, 2021 | Save On Cannabis
If you love to make your own edibles but you don’t have a lot of time, kief cookies are the way to go. These are also great for beginner-level and novice bakers because they’re easy to prepare and they require no cannabutter. All you have to do is collect the kief, heat it up, and mix it into your favorite cookie recipe. It’s that simple.
How Are Kief Cookies Different From Cannabis Cookies?
Kief cookies are a type of cannabis cookie; they’re just prepared a bit differently than conventional canna-cookies. Most cannabis cookie recipes will require you to make a batch of cannabutter (cannabis-infused butter) and use it in place of regular butter when baking your sweets. With kief cookies, you’re just collecting the sticky kief from the plant and mixing it right into the batter.
In addition to being easier to prepare, kief cookies can be much more psychoactive than regular pot cookies. That’s because you’re collecting the sticky resin where most of the THC is stored. This is good news for the thrifty baker because even a small gram of kief can go a long way, often covering two or more batches.
What Is Kief?
Kief refers to the resin glands on the cannabis plant. It’s the sticky part of the trichome system that has a powdery appearance and easily separates from the plant. These crystals are rich in cannabinoids (THC, CBD, etc) and terpenes.
Kief is often extracted from the plant and compressed into a highly potent cannabis concentrate. It can contain up to 50% THC or more in some cases, so a little goes a long way. Keep this in mind when preparing your cookies, as kief can pack a powerful punch.
How to Extract Your Kief
The first step is to grind down the cannabis and separate the crystals from the plant. This is easy to achieve using a multi-chamber herb grinder like the Croc Crusher 4 Piece Herb Grinder. You can save 10% on this and other grinders when you use our coupon code SAVEONCANNA10 at KING’s Pipe online headshop.
- Fill the grinder with your dry herb.
- Break up the larger buds with your fingers and fill up all of the space between the teeth.
- Close the lid and twist it about 10 times.
- Open the grinder and collect your kief.
You can set the ground bud aside for a smoke-out, but what you want right now is the kief. You’ll find it in the bottom chamber.
How to Prepare Your Kief
Before adding the kief to your cookies, you need to decarboxylate it. This is the heating process that converts cannabinoids from their acid form to their active form (e.g. THCA to THC). If you don’t decarboxylate first, you’ll be left with a bitter taste and no buzz. Thankfully, decarboxylating is easy.
- Preheat your oven to 245 degrees.
- Spread your fresh kief over a clean baking sheet.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
Now the real fun begins.
How to Make Kief Cookies
You can make kief cookies with store-bought cookie dough, or you can use your own favorite cookie recipe. The only difference is that you’re going to fold the kief into the dough before baking.
So just flatten a piece of dough into a cookie shape, create a small basin in the center, and sprinkle a pinch of kief into the basin before folding the cookie into a ball. Then bake as normal. That’s all there is to it.
But remember, kief is very psychoactive, so you really do want to add just a pinch and no more. If you’re looking for a bit of inspiration with a useful recipe, you can use the following chocolate chip cookie recipe.
Kief Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 egg
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar (packed)
- ½ cup salted butter (softened)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ grams kief (approx.)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix flour, baking soda, and baking powder in a mixing bowl.
- Mix butter, vanilla, white sugar, and brown sugar in a separate bowl.
- Add eggs to the butter/sugar bowl and beat until fluffy.
- Mix in the dry ingredients from the first bowl until combined.
- Add chocolate chips and stir.
- Roll the mixture into cookie-sized shapes and place a small pinch of kief in the center of each.
- Fold the kief into the cookies, and place them on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until the cookies start to turn brown.
- Let cool for 2 to 5 minutes.
If you try these cookies and you love them, let us know! Or share your own favorite kief recipes in the comments.
Get reviews, tips, and giveaways right in your inbox.
The Ultimate Guide to Packing and Smoking the Perfect Bowl of Cannabis
Enhance your cannabis smoking experience by learning how to pack & smoke a perfect bowl. Follow this guide for a satisfying smoke session.
A Guide to the LEVO Infuser Machine
If you are looking for an easy and automated way to make cannabis oil at home, look no further than LEVO. Get deals & learn about the device.
Why try cannabis drinks instead of alcohol?
Alcohol has been a staple in our recreational activities, but is it really the best option? Find out why cannabis drinks may be a better bet.